John H. Murphy
Colonel John H. Murphy was commissioned 31 July 1943 from Infantry OCS, Class #278. He was a Platoon Leader and Company Commander at Camp Carson and later in the Phillipines. In 1946 as a Captain he moved to the G-2 Section of General Headquarters Far East Command in Tokyo. From 1949-51 he was a National Guard Instructor in California. He then attended the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College in 1952. Upon completion of the course he took command of the 3d Battalion 32d Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division in Korea and later in the same tour served as Deputy Chief of Staff of Headquarters, 7th Infantry Division. | Moving Stateside in 1955, he joined the G-3 Section of Headquarters, U.S. Continental Army Command at Fort Monroe, Virginia. From 1957-1959, he served in key staff positions at the 7th Corps Headquarters in Germany. He returned to the States to attend the U.S. Army War College and then on to the Pentagon where he served on the Staff of the Deputy Chief of Staff of Operations. In 1965 he was the Deputy G-2 of Eighth Army in Seoul, Korea and again returned to CONUS in 1967 to the position of Commander of Combat Developments Intelligence Command at Fort Holabird, Maryland, the position he held until retirement on 1 March 1970. | His awards and decorations include the Legion of Merit w/1 Oak Leaf Cluster, Bronze Star and the ARCOM w/3 Oak Leaf Cluster.