Robert H. Jordan
Chief Justice Robert H. Jordan was born in Talbot County, Georgia. He graduated from Talbotton High School, Georgia Southwestern College, and holds a Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Georgia Law School, Class of 1941. | Shortly after graduation from the University of Georgia Law School, Chief Justice Jordan entered the military service in World War II as a private. He was discharged in 1946 as a Major. Upon return from the military service, Chief Justice Jordan was actively engaged in the practice of law in several counties of West Central Georgia. He was elected president of the Chattahoochee Circuit Bar Association and served as Vice-President of the Georgia Bar Association in 1958. | Chief Justice Jordan is a deacon in the Baptist Church, has served as Sunday School Superintendent, Scout Master, Commander of the Talbot County Legion Post, President of the Talbotton Lions Club, is a Mason and an honorary member of the Gridiron Society. He is a member of Phi Delta Theta social fraternity and Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity. Chief Justice Jordan is a member of the State Bar of Georgia, the American Bar Association and the American Judicature Society. He has served as a member of the Judicial Council of Georgia and on the Board of Visitors of the University of Georgia Law School. He served on the Court of Appeals from his appointment in 1960, until April 3, 1972. At that time he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Georgia. He was elected Presiding Justice of that Court on 1 March 1980 and Chief Justice on 20 December 1980.