JAMES T. CARTER
Lieutenant Colonel James T. Carter joined the 1st Battalion 272d Infantry Regiment, Camp Shelby, Mississippi, in 1943, serving as Plans and Training Officer and Company Commander. Carter rose to the rank of Captain in 1945 and saw service in the European Theatre of Operations. He then attained the rank of Major in 1947 and served as Commanding Officer, Christmas Island, Pacific. In 1948, Carter was assigned to the 34th Infantry Regiment in Japan, serving as a Battalion Commander. He was assigned as Assistant S2/3, Fort Sheridan, Illinois, in 1950. | Lieutenant Colonel Carter attended the Advance Course at the Armored School, Fort Knox, Kentucky, in 1951 and was subsequently assigned as Team Chief, Military Mission in Turkey. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in 1953, assuming duty as Regimental Advisor with the Advisor Group, Indiana National Guard, Fort Wayne, Indiana, where he remained thru 1957. Lieutenant Colonel Carter’s next assignment, 1958-1959, was in Germany, where he served with the G4 Section, Headquarters 7th United States Army and as Battalion Commander of the 2d Armored Rifle Battalion, 48th Infantry. In 1960, Lieutenant Colonel Carter was assigned as Chief, Operations Committee, Communications Department, United States Army Infantry School, Fort Benning, Georgia. | Lieutenant Colonel Carter’s awards and decorations include: the Bronze Star Medal, Purple Heart, the Army Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant, Combat Infantryman Badge and the Good Conduct Medal.